Jonathan Holt Titcomb (1819-1887) married Sarah (1824–1876), eldest daughter of John Wood of Southport, Lancashire, on 24 May 1845 and with whom he was to have eight daughters and two sons. Four of the daughters died in the bishop's lifetime. He was Bishop of Rangoon from 1877-1882, and the author of Personal Recollections of British Burma and Its Church Mission Work in 1878-79
William Holt Yates Titcomb,(1858-1930) a son of Jonathan, married Jessie Ada Morison, in 1892. They were both artists, living in St. Ives, Cornwall.
Jessie, born about 1867, was the daughter of John Morison, a Ship owner.
William , was a figure painter in oils, known particularly for his depictions of the Cornish fisherfolk, while his wife, who also exhibited at the Royal Academy, specialised in child studies.
Primitive Methodists at Prayer, an oil on canvas, was on display in 1889 at the Dudley Museum & Art Gallery. This painting won more international medals than any other St. Ives work and is the first of three paintings that Titcomb completed of the Primitive Methodist congregation of the Fore Street Chapel in St. Ives. Although the son of an Anglican bishop, Titcomb was fascinated with the passion with which the St. Ives fishermen practised their faith - a faith which they called the "brightest and best" part of life. The simplicity of the chapel, the sparseness of the congregation and the humbleness of their attire only serve to highlight the intensity of belief.
In 1898 , a signed letter from the artist community of St Ives, representing a total of 66 artists, including John Anthony Park, Percy Craft, Fred Milner, Thomas Millie Dow, Richard Hayley Lever, Abbott Handerson Thayer, William Holt Yates Titcomb, Louis Grier and Leonard Richmond , was presented to the local landowner , declaring their love for the place, to the growth of which we have contributed ... and urging him to ... use your power and influence to prevent the destruction of objects of natural beauty and interest, - trees, and granite boulders - and especially those gnarled and wind twisted thorn trees which help to give this country its distinctive character ...
Francis Holt Yates Titcomb was born in March 1898, at St.Ives in Cornwall. Nothing is known about Loveday apart from her love of music.
The family moved from St.Ives to Dusseldorf, Germany in 1905, because their mother believed German education to be the best; they came back to England to Bristol where Francis attended Clifton College from 1909 until December 1916.
Francis was a talented violinist along with his sister Loveday, they were in demand for family soirées, and Francis won the Cardiff Junior Eisteddfod in 1913. However his main interest was in aeronautics. He won a Science Scholarship at Cambridge but joined the Royal Naval Air Squadron as a Probationary Flying Officer. After five weeks of instruction at Crystal Palace he went to the Royal Naval Air Service Flying Training airfield at Redcar for flying instruction. On Sunday 15 April 1917 Francis Titcomb took off in a Maurice Farman Longhorn aircraft, Number 5055 on his first solo cross country flight. He became disorientated in some snow clouds and crashed to earth upside down on Castle Hill and died instantly.
He was buried with naval honours at the Brompton Cemetery, London
Mary Loveday Titcomb, only daughter of W. H. Y. Titcomb, married Lieutenant Commander Leonard Bampfylde Cogan, R.N.V.R. only son of Mr. amd Mrs. Cogan of 12 Vyvyan Terrace, Clifton, Bristol, on 5th February, 1920 at All Saints Church, Clifton, Bristol.
In 1891 William Holt Yates Titcomb was living in Balham, Surrey. In the Directories of 1901 and 1905, William Holt Yates Titcomb, is listed as an Artist at the Wickersley Institute. In 1905 - 1911 W. H. Y. Titcomb., Esq., is recorded as one of the chief landowners in Wickersley.
William Holt Yates, Physician, only son of the William Yates, Esq., of Wickersley Hall, he was born in 1802, and was educated at the University of Edinburgh, and at St. John's College, Cambridge, whore he graduated M.D. in 1826. He was a member of the Royal College of Physicians of London, and was many years Physician to the Royal General Dispensary, London, and afterwards Consulting Physician to the same Institution. Dr. Holt Yates was known as an Eastern traveller, and was the author of a work on 'Modern History and Condition of Egypt', published in 1843.
He married Amelia Mary, who survived him.
William Holt Yates died in 1874.
Amelia Yates died on 12th April 1889 at 5 Sumner Terrace, South Kensington, in her 79th year.
The Wickersley Institute and Club was erected in 1862 by the late W. H. Yates M. D., at a cost of £1500 containing a library, museum, lecture hall and house for the manager.
Extract : The Wickersley Christian Institute was established on the 3rd December 1862 in a building erected by him for the purpose by Mrs Amelia Yates's late husband, Dr. Holt Yates, owner in fee of the Wickersley estate "for the promotion of useful knowledge among the working classes." Dr. Yates never parted with the ownership of the building, and it is now vested in Mr. William Holt Yates Titcomb, who is tenant for life of the Wickersley estate under the will of Dr. Yates. Source: Endowed Charities West Riding. Yorkshire and Sheffield, 1897
More about the Wickersley Christian Institute »
Wickersley Hall, also referred to as 'The Old Hall' is where Dr. and Mrs. Holt Yates resided for a number of years.
In 1881 living at Wickersley Hall: