Wickersley is a pleasant village and parish and polling place for the Southern Division of the Riding, Rotherham Union and County Court District. There was a church here doubtless of Saxon origin. The later early english church was pulled down about 1835 and a structure of very debased character put up in its place although the building was then in excellent preservation, and with the exception of the outer walls, could have been easily restored. There was a fine Chancel with a Lady chapel and one belonging to Lord de Wyckersley, who gave the land on which Roche Abbey stands. The present church of St. Albans, rebuilt as described, is a stone gothic building, consisting of a chancel, nave, embattled tower and 3 bells. It has an organ and a stained east window. The register dates from the year 1540. There is a complete list of the rectors from the Reformation, the present rector being the fifteenth from that date. The living is a rectory of the yearly value of £400, with residence; it is held by Rev. Frederic Freeman M.A. of Hatfields Hall, Durham University, who is also the patron.
Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. A stone building has been erected, at the expense of Dr. Yates, for meetings and lectures, which contains a good library and museum.
The charities amount to £8 yearly.
William Aldam is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are William Aldam, Frederic Freeman, George Reresby Sitwell bart., Mrs. Holt Yates, Rev. John T. Aldred and Captain Bower.
This place is celebrated for its quarries of fine soft gritstone. The soil is sandy and gravelly. The crops are wheat, turnips and barley. The area is 1273 acres, rateable value £2752 5s. 2d., and the population in 1871 was 717.
Rev. Frederic Freeman M.A.
Mrs. Holt Yates, Wickersley Hall
William Winder, Parish Clerk