past and present
Pair of cottages
Formerly a Primitive Methodist Chapel. Early 19th century refronting of late 18th century cottages. Ashlar sandstone, coated Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays with lower single bay set back on right as extension to rear range. Ground-floor lintel of left bay inscribed Primitive Methodist Chapel
; upper floor lintel with weathered inscription quoting a hymn(?). East side of Morthen Road
Early 19th century Coursed dressed sandstone, 20th century cement-tile roof. 2 storeys. Bold inscription Copeland Cottage
beneath 1st-floor windows as outer bays of ground floor. Attached house known as No 1, Moss Close not of special interest. East side of Morthen Road
Barn at Wickersley Grange Farm approximately 30 metres to south-west of farmhouse Barn dated 1773. Coursed, squared sandstone, Welsh slate roof. Rear: opposed wag on entrance, nnow partly walled-up, has R W M
inscribed on keystone.
Gazebo approximately 50 metres to east of Wickersley Grange. Early 18th century. Squared rubble sandstone, stone slate roof. Square, 1-storey, single cell. Large quoins. Quoined doorway on side facing Wickersley Grange has boarded door and plain lintel with inscribed shield enclosing initials I. W.
and illegible date. West side of Morthen Road
Wickersley Old Hall
Early 18th century with 19th century wing and later alterations. Coursed, squared sandstone, East side of Morthen Road.
Post Medieval Barn 1767 - 1799
A late 18th century barn at Moat Farm
Post Medieval Cart Shed 1733 - 1799
A mid to late 18th century cart shed at Moat Farm. Built of coursed, dressed sandstone with a stone slate roof.
Post Medieval Farmhouse 1800 - 1899
Moat Farmhouse, Wickersley - A 19th century farmhouse
A house built circa 1690 for Ralph Fretwell
. The rear wing was added in the 18th century. The house was derelict at the time of
resurvey. The house had an ashlar limestone facade and the rest of the building was of coursed rubble limestone retaining some original render with a pantiled roof.
Late medieval industrial site comprising seven lime kilns dated to the 15th-16th century and a possible contemporary field system, revealed by excavation.
In 1995 seven late medieval lime kilns dated archaeomagnetically to the late 15th-
late 16th century, and a possible contemporary field system were excavated
following geophysical survey. Archive Holder West Yorkshire Archaeology Service
Director of fieldwork A Boucher
Between Cumwell and Sandy Lanes, Hellaby
A ditched enclosure, of uncertain date, is visible as cropmarks on air photographs. It is incomplete, but its shape is polygonal, with an entrance on its eastern side. Adjacent to Lidget Lane, Bramley
Medieval Deserted Settlement
Medieval village, visible as earthworks, consisting of house platforms, enclosure and ridge and furrow, excavated in 1991. Hellaby Hall grounds. Was excavated further in 1995,land west of Hellaby Hall, and land of Denby Way; 1997, and 1998, Hellaby Hall
Archive Holder: South Yorkshire Archaeology Service.
Director of fieldwork: R Holbrey
Cropmark enclosure complex. Date uncertain. Adjacent to Slacks Lane.
Medieval Cistercian Grange
Bramley Grange - A Cistercian grange of Roche Abbey with fishponds. Now a house and farmhouse, the main block is early 17th century, the rear wing contains 16th century timber-framing which may be remains of the original grange.
Post Medieval House
Bramley Grange - A 16th century timber-framed house which was refronted circa 1700 with a wing added in the 18th century. Built of coursed, squared sandstone with Welsh slate roofs. Attached to a farmhouse.
C3rd Roman coin found 1938.Slacks Lane.
Post Medieval Farmhouse
Bramley Grange - A farmhouse built in 1716
Cropmarks of parallel field boundaries. Between Cumwell and Sandy Lanes, Hellaby
Cropmark of a rectangular enclosure. Kea Park Close, Hellaby
Cropmark of a small square enclosure. Hellaby Lane.
Post Medieval Country House and Barn
Slade Hooton Hall and Barn. Small country house, built c1698 and barn built c1700.
See also Community pages